What is the Canadian Alliance of British Pensioners?


We are a non profit, volunteer based organisation. Our objectives are twofold.

1. We offer our members assistance, support and information, to help them understand and claim the U.K. State pension they are entitled to, and for which they paid when they worked in the UK.
2. We act as a lobby and pressure group to persuade the UK government to stop the discriminatory practice of freezing pensions based on where you live in retirement.

This animated video explains the situation very well.

We are also a founding member of the International Consortium of British Pensioners, an organisation that speaks for the interests of over half a million frozen pensioners worldwide, and which is the lead organisation in our lobbying and media activities in the UK.

icbp logoYou can visit the web site of the International Consortium by clicking on the logo.


  1. Pauline Clarkson says

    I was born inEngland and I worked from the age of fifteen to Twenty before moving to Canada , am I entitled to any British pension

  2. Ben Tenzing says

    I was born in 1979 and have 4 years of National Insurance credits (not contributions). I’m wondering how to determine whether making voluntary contributions is worthwhile. It looks like I would be paying Class 3 contributions, as I was volunteering for an NGO immediately before leaving the UK back in 2004. Class 2/3 doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense, e.g. can I go back to the UK, work for a week, and then leave again, and then pay Class 2 contributions?!

    • David Morris says

      Hello Ben, yes you likely will have to pay Class 3, as the UK Government is phasing out Class 2 in 2017. Even at Class 3 rates, it is still a good deal financially to make additional contributions. Current Class 3 contribution rates are £733 per year. This could buy 1 additional pension year income of £231 (exact amount may vary). This is just over a 3 year payback, which is a pretty good return. I don’t know of many investments that cost £733, and pay you back £231 a year for life.

      • Ben Tenzing says

        Thanks David. I hadn’t heard they were getting rid of Class 2, so that makes things clearer for me. Shame, but you’re right, it’s still an amazing return (although not without some risk level, e.g. changes by future governments).

  3. Harry Boldwing says

    My UK State Pension is based largely on Voluntary UK NI contributions I made while living in Canada. These voluntary contributions are not associated in any way with UK employment as I had none. Can I get CRA to recognise the corresponding part of my UK State Pension as not earned income for tax purposes; but more as a return on an investment?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Harry – it wouldn’t matter. Interest paid on an investment is still taxed at the same rate as earned income

  4. Shamil Devanny says


    I am male, 47 years old and hold dual British/Canadian citizenship. I have worked and contributed for 19 years in UK before emigrating to Canada in January 2009. I have since been working here and also contributing to the CPP. I’m wondering if I need to make voluntary contributions to get a decent UK pension or can my contributions can be combined between UK and Canada. So, far by adding the number of years in both countries I have made contributions for 26 years.

    Thank you.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Shamil, the bad news is that UK pension contributions do not count toward CPP . The good news is that you can receive a pension from both countries. With 19 years in the UK, you will get 19/35ths of a full pension, but you can continue to contribute to the UK system, and with another 16 years you will get a full UK pension. By also contributing to CPP you will get approx 26 years credit (2009 until you reach retirement age)

  5. I was born in 1964 and worked for 5 years then moved to canada in 1988. Would I be eligible to a pension.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Helen, you need 10 years to qualify for a minimum pension. The good news is that you can continue to make contributions form Canada which will enable you to qualify. Don’t delay though as you lose the ability to buy years as time goes on. If you join us, we will send you a complete package of information on how to get started

      • i was born in 1954 and have lived in Canada since i was 22 years old . worked in UK from 16 to 22. I am eligible for pension in Canada, someone told me about buying into UK pension. am i too late?

        • David Morris says

          Hello Karl, it is not too late, but you need to act quickly. You need 10 years to qualify, but you can still make catch up payments to get you to the 10 years. If you join us, we will send you an information package on what to do next

  6. Peter Smith says

    I moved to Canada in 2000. Both my wife and I are apparently entitled to FULL UK Pensions when we reach retirement age. (My DOB 30/6/61 Her DOB 2/12/56) Howefver due to the ‘FROZEN’ status we face living in Canada , is there any agreement between the UK & Canada where it would be best to switch what we are entitled to, to the Canadian Pension Scheme? I understand there is some sort of Social Security Agreement between the countries but haven’t been able to find any information. I have been self employed since moving to Canada and have been paying the CPP towards a Canadian Pension. I’m just wondering what our options are? Many thanks

    • David Morris says

      Hello Peter, you can not use pension credit in the UK towards the CPP. You can collect both pensions, no problem, but the agreement between Canada and the Uk does not recognize contributions in the UK towards CPP or OAS

  7. marion rickert says

    I worked in uk for 9 years and only get what they call a graduation pension 18.00 a year depending on the exchange rate can tone year be paid back

    • David Morris says

      Hello Marion, I need to know your date of birth and whether you were paying the married womans stamp when you were working.

  8. David Ward says

    I was born in England in 1949 and worked for approx 1 1/2 years before emigrating to Canada in Feb, 1966. Would it be worth me applying for a UK state pension having worked for such a short period of time?

    • David Morris says

      Hello David, you only need 1 year to be eligible for a partial pension, and you still have time to buy back another 4 or 5 years. I would say it is definitely worthwhile applying

  9. Patricia Miller says

    I was born in England worked for about 2years 1969 1970 and then emigrated to Canada born June 1953 would I be eligible for any British pension.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Patricia, you will need 10 years of pension contributions to qualify. You can back pay up to 6 years, but even that wont be enough. You are close, but doesn’t look like you have enough credits. It doesn’t hurt to enquire, though

  10. sandra bell says

    I was born in Scotland in 1954 moved to Canada in 1964 .can I pay pension credit to receive my pension

    • David Morris says

      Hello Sandra, no, you needed to have worked in the UK to obtain a National Insurance number. Without that, you can not make pension payments. Sorry

  11. Richard Naster says

    My father-in-law worked for about 20 yaers in the u’k. before coming to Canada. At one point he was receiving his U’.K. pension but that seems to have stopped. At present he is suffering some dementia & can not recall if he ever received notification form the U.K. Is it possible that he was asked to confirm that he is still quite alive and entitled to his pension?
    If so, who should I conatct to clear up this matter? Many Thanks.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Richard, yes, it is quite likely that he received a life certificate request. If he did not respond in time, his pension is automatically stopped.
      You would need to contact the Dept of Works and Pensions in the UK to get it reinstated

  12. Fenella Hewson says

    I was born in England in 1950 and worked there about a year (but not sure if I contributed to the pension plan. I then moved to Canada where I worked 37 years, and I now receive a (small) Canadian Pension. Would I be eligible for any UK pension ? How do I apply

    • David Morris says

      Hello Fenella. You reached pension age sometime in 2010 (depending on your birth month). If it was after April then you only needed 1 year, and you would qualify for a small UK pension. If it was before April, then you needed 10, and you wouldn’t qualify

  13. Hi. I was born in 1967 in UK (49years old female). I worked for 5 years in the UK then migrated to Canada. Do I qualify for a UK pension?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Neelam, you will need 10 years of contributions to qualify, but you can certainly achieve that. You can back pay 6 years, plus contribute each year going forward. You have 5 already, you can back pay 6, and make 16 going forward. This will give you 27 years, which gets you pretty close to a full pension. This is a very good deal financially, so you should really consider it.

  14. Mike Solanki says

    Hello David,
    I am 58 right now and will retire in 2022 at 65. I moved to Canada from UK in 1989 and have lived here for 26 years. I am
    trying to determine weather I qualify for Class 2 or class 3 contributions to augment my UK pension which I am entitled to.
    I worked in Uk during 1977 to 1989 and they have confirmed that the current value of my State pension is GBP 56 per week. When I was talking to them they had advised that I should make additional contributions going back six years maximum. Class 2 rate per year is lower than class 3. Your input would be very much appreciated.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Mike, the rules regarding Class 2 are complex, and have changed over the years. They are changing again next year, when Class 2’s will be dropped entirely. If you can pay back all 6 years now at Class 2, it would be worth it. If you join us, we will send you an information package on the eligibility requirements for Class 2.

  15. Sharon Conway says

    Hi Perhaps you can help me with some info
    I am female born 1955 in England where I lived and
    worked until my husband and I divorced after 25 years
    I remarried 10 years ago to a Canadian when I was 52
    and have now lived in Canada as permanent resident
    I have never worked in Canada but my husband is
    58 and works
    In England I worked full time and later part time and qualify for
    UK pension when I am nearly 67 they keep moving the date
    I often joke and say I will be dead before I get it
    Any advice would be helpful
    Am I entitled to a pension in Canada or just uk pension
    Many thanks Sharon
    my Canadian husband says his pension is due when 65
    he was born 1954 in june

    • David Morris says

      Hello Sharon, you should be eligible for a UK pension. You know that you can still make voluntary contributions to it from Canada ? That will increase your pension, and is something you should seriously look at.
      In terms of Canada, you would not be eligible for CPP, but if you have lived 10 years here, you would qualify for the OAS pension.

    • Sharon Conway says

      many thanks for info

  16. I was born in the UK in 1970 and went to work at 16 years old in 1986. I worked all the time, fulltime, until I left for Canada in the Summer of 2001. I was 31.
    I know at some stage I opted out – but I’m not sure what that actually means, and if I will be entitled to a UK pension at all. I know I won’t be entitled to a Canadian one until I'[ve been here 35 years which will put me in my mid-60’s so I’m getting worried about my financial future.

    • David Morris says

      Hi Rachael, the first step is for you to find out your pension status. If you join us, we can help with that. We will send you an information package on how to find out your NI number, and how to get a pension forecast. Once you have that, you can then make voluntary payments from Canada, which will increase your pension. We tell you how to do that.
      Also, I’m not sure why you think you need to be in Canada 35 years to qualify for a Canadian pension – but that’s a different issue.

  17. Vaughan Griffiths says

    My wife and I moved to Canada in 2010 and have no intentions of moving back. I paid in to my pension from 1993 to 2010 and my wife has around 8yrs contributions. Will we be able to claim our UK pensions at 65 or ealier?
    Thank you

    • David Morris says

      Hello Vaughan, I would need your dates of birth to tell you what age you can claim pensions, and how many years of NI contributions you need.

  18. des mainardi says

    I grew up in England, although I am Canadian. I worked there for about 4 years in total (1974, then 1975-1979)
    I am 58 years old now. If I am eligible for a pension how would I go about topping it up to get a pension as
    I dont think I have paid enough.

    Thank you for helping us.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Des, you will need 10 years of pension credits to qualify. The good news is that you can make voluntary contributions from abroad to get you to at least the minimum. You can back pay up to 6 years, plus contribute going forward to retirement age.
      If you join us, we will give you a complete package on how to get started, and how to make payments from abroad. It is definitely worth your while financially to make voluntary contributions

  19. Bill Carson says

    Hi, I have a question about my pension which I have been receiving for about a year now. I paid the voluntary contributions for 3 years (about 2100 pounds) which gave me extra on my weekly pension which is great. They also paid me retroactive since I was 68 when I applied (thanks to CAPB). However, when they sent me the letter confirming the amount I would get they said that my wife would get 60% of that amount as well. She just turned 60 last month. When I started receiving the pension I called to see about the amount for my wife and they told me that she was not eligible to receive anything. I was born in the UK but came to Canada at a young age but went back and worked there for 4 years (my wife did as well for 3 years). What’s the deal with the 60% for the wife. My brother in law did the same thing, worked for a few years when he was young, then came to Canada. He applied for his pension, paid up some back years and started receiving his pension and my sister (60 years old at that time) also started receiving 60% of his pension and still does. This was about 4 years ago…has the law changed on this?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Bill, the law is changing in April 2016. Anyone who reaches pension age after that point will not qualify for a spousal pension. Prior to that, a spouse could receive 60% of their partners pension. Your sister is likely in that category.
      What is puzzling is your situation. Your wife does not reach pension age until after 2016, so she would not be eligible for any spousal pension. However, she worked in the UK too, so she could be entitled to a pension in her own right. I think it is a mistake by the DWP. She should not be getting 60% of your pension.

  20. Deborah Thomas says

    I worked as a temporary worker in East ham UK in 1997 and 1998

    • David Morris says

      Hello Deborah, I need a little more information than that. What is your age, and how long did you live in the UK ?

  21. Hello,
    my brothers UK pension was stopped 6 months ago. I see that your response to someone else said that UK may have sent a Life CERTIFICATE to them and they cut off because of no response. Well my brother received no prior Life Certificate from UK until i made inquiries to why his pension was stopped. Which took 4 months to receive a reply
    They are cutting the pensions off first and then after months sending them this so called Life Certificate and probably after inquiries.They want so much details to what they already have ,recent photo Id, witnesses etc etc,just given poor pensioners more hassle of redoing more paperwork. I sent them a letter and info of my brothers hospital appointments for treatment for lung cancer . As yet have had no response or reply from them .
    . To me this is just another way for UK to stop paying UK pensioners living abroad anything to which they are totally entitled to. today another relative got the same thing as i am sure thousand of other have experienced .
    NO PRIOR LIFE CERTIFICATES were SENT TO THEM BEFORE BEING CUT OFF. Just another way of saving them money,which is not theirs to keep..

  22. I am returning to Canada at the age of 75 and I am receiving a British Pension. Wen I return how do i receive the British Pension in Canada and who do I notify to start this rolling? Thank you

    • David Morris says

      Hello Val, you need to notify the Dept of Works and Pensions in the UK of your new address in Canada. You will also need to give them bank account details in Canada, so that the pension can be paid automatically into your account

  23. Hi David
    Thank you for your answer and that put my mind to rest. By the way, may I ask , when did the British goverment allow past tax payer who have moved abroad to start claiming their right to pension, is it just recently? I want to notify some of my other friends who used to work in the UK and to introduce your great organization . Rita

    • David Morris says

      Hello Rita, thanks for the vote of confidence. The British pension has been payable abroad since the 1950’s, so it has been a long time.

  24. Hello,
    I have resided in Canada for over 35 years and am 65 soon. At that time I have a UK company pension payable (as well as the National Pension. I have been exploring the thought of taking 25% of the company pension tax free in the UK as a one time option when I turn 65. While this is Tax free in the UK I am unable to determine whether I need to declare the one time withdrawal and pay tax on it in Canada. Do you know where I can find this information independently, rather than ask CRA?
    Thanks you, Paul

    • David Morris says

      Hello Paul, I am not a tax expert, but generally any UK state pension payments are taxable in Canada. That would include any lump sum payments. If in doubt, your best bet is to talk to a tax accountant familiar with pensions.

      • Thank you for this. I suspect that you are right but I feel this is not fair if the lump sum, one time amount is tax free in the UK. The tax accountants I have talked to have less knowledge on this than I do as I suspect this is all still too new.
        Perhaps it is another cause for the Alliance to pursue. Regards and thank you again Paul

        • Harry Boldwing says

          No, it is not fair. You should declare the lump sum in Canada. However, you may be able to transfer your lump sum directly into a Canadian RRSP with no tax liability until you withdraw from the RRSP/RRIF. I am not a professional and this is only a layman’s advice, but I am facing the same problem, Good luck to both of us.

  25. Hello, I was born in Dec 1950 and emigrated to Canada in 1975. I have 7 years of NI contributions. I was eligible to receive my UK pension in Sept 2011 but have deferred it as I am still working. I plan on claiming it effective January 2016 and receiving a lump sum payment. My husband was born in August 1941 and emigrated to Canada in 1975 also. He has been receiving a reduced UK state pension since he turned 65 in 2006. When I do claim my pension can I also claim a spousal amount based on his contributions?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Jenny, yes, you should be able to claim a spousal pension to bring your pension up to a maximum of 60% of your husbands. This extra amount would also be dated as of 2011

  26. My grandad is a Canadian citizen and receives a pension, but would like to live in the UK for the remainder of his life, can he still receive his Canadian pension while staying in the UK for the foreseeable future..

    • David Morris says

      Hello Hardip, absolutely. The Canadian pension is paid anywhere in the world, and is also uprated annually. There are other issues he may have to consider, such as residency for tax purposes, but his pension will be paid

  27. I have 11 years of contributions to the UK pension. My birth date is Dec 26, 1948. I am considering buying 4 more years to raise my pension amount before applying for it. My question is will my wife (dob Dec 18, 1954) receive a spousal pension and/or widow’s pension based on my record. She never worked or lived there.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Phil, unfortunately no. Your spouse will not be entitled to any kind of a spousal or widows pension. She reaches pension age after 2016, when the new legislation comes into force that eliminates spousal pensions.

  28. Hi I am a female born Oct 1961 and worked there for 10 years and had 7 years of looking after my children, I moved to canada in2008, my husband worked 23 years in self employed business and moved to canada on 2008 he is born feb 1959, do we qualify and will it effect the canadian pension yhznks

    • David Morris says

      Hello Raj, yes you are both entitled to a UK pension, and you still have time to add to it by making voluntary contributions. It will not affect any Canadian pension you are entitled to.
      if you join us, we can help get you started on what to do next.

  29. Jim Paul says

    Hi David,

    I worked in the UK from 1956 to 1980 and payed back 8 years of full contribution stamps. I have received 82% of the UK pension and my wife 60% of it since I retired in 2006. Is there any move in the future to change the present system of not allowing it to be indexed. It seems rather unfair after all the years worked there when other who work much less get the benefits. Strange that if we lived in the US we would get it indexed. Is there other benefits I should be claiming for which I don’t get? We are going to Scotland for 2 weeks at the end of the month now I am told we can’t get medical treatment if needed yet I have paid nearly all of my stamps for it, is this true? look forward to your reply.


    • David Morris says

      Hello Jim, our primary goal here at the Canadian Alliance of British pensioners is to fight for unfreezing pensions. It is most definitely unfair and illogical. if you are not a member of CABP, I urge you to join us and help.
      You unfortunately are not entitled to any other pension related benefits if you live abroad. You also are not covered for medical insurance if you visit the UK, so you should always get travel health insurance when you go.
      You will be entitled to have your pension uprated for the two weeks you are in Scotland, so don’t forget to do that.

  30. Joe Cairney says

    Hi There,

    I worked fulltime in Scotland from 1977 until I emigrated to Canada in 1988, totaling 11yrs. However, I’m told that when calculating your pension, it may not include the ages 16-19, is that correct? I was in full time employment as a tradesman in a shipyard and then a firefighter, before emigrating to Canada. Thanks

    • David Morris says

      Hello Joe, no, any contributions you made while working are counted. If you were in school from age 16 to 19, you still would get NI credit for those years

  31. Steve Ward says

    Hello ,

    I worked in the UK from 1971-1980 , I was born in 1955 .
    I came to Canada in 1980 and for the last 3 yrs I have been paying contributions so I receive my UK pension when I am 66.
    I understand it’s classed as taxable income in Canada , but just want to know that I will still receive my full CPP and OAS while receiving my UK pension as well .

    • David Morris says

      Hello Steve, your CPP is not affected in any way by your UK pension. The OAS is not affected by it, but if your total income from all sources (including the UK pension) exceeds the minimum threshold, some of the OAS pension amount may be “clawed back” by the Government. For 2015/2016 the minimum amount is $71,592 at which some OAS is held back. At $116,103 total income you would lose all your OAS

  32. Roberta harvey says

    I am Canadian female, DOB October 6, 1943. I worked in England for approximately one year in 1968/69 and paid into NI. My husband was English and my son was born there in October, 1969. My husband and infant son emigrated to Canada upon my return in December 1969. Am I entitled to any pension, or is it in my interest to pay anything back at this stage?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Roberta, you are not entitled to a UK pension in your own right as you were not there long enough, and it is too late now to make any more contributions. You may be entitled to a spousal pension if your husband has a UK pension

  33. dave miller says

    My mothers British pension was stopped 6 months ago. Do you know we reactivate it?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Dave, it possibly was stopped because she received a “life certificate” from the UK, to verify that she is still alive. If she didn’t respond to that, they stop the pension. You need to contact the Dept of Works and pensions to find out.

  34. Jackie MacGregor says

    I was born in England in 1948 and left for Canada with my parents in 1958. I returned in 1969 and worked for a year before returning to Canada. I received pension papers when I turned 60 which I ignored as I didn’t think I would qualify, but my Aunt in England sent me new papers that recently arrived at their address (where I lived for that year). I am now 66. I don’t think I am eligible … But am questioning why they would bother sending the application forms if I am not.

    Can you clear this up for me please?

  35. Maria Afonso says

    I am a canadain citizen borm 1968. I lived and worked full time in UK from 1988 to 1995, and paid into National Insuance during that time. As well I believe I also paid into London Pensions Fund Authority for 4 of these years. I do not have my NI number. I am living back in Canadsa since 1996. Am I eligible for UK pension? If I am can I but back?

    Thnak you

    • David Morris says

      Hello Maria, you will reach pension age in 2035. You will need 10 years of NI contributions to qualify for a minimum pension. The good news is that you are able to make voluntary contributions from abroad, and you have lots of time to build up a solid pension. You can get pretty close to the 35 years you need for a full pension. You should start now to do that, as you will lose years as time goes buy. Its never too soon to start accumulating pension eligibility

  36. Jeremy Ranson says

    Hello. I’m living in the US and found out recently that I have 11 qualifying years and they’re giving me the option of buying back 8 more, mostly at Class 2 which is nice. My question is, how do I get the money to them? Can I send them a lump sum? I probably can’t send them a check in US dollars due to the exchange rate constantly fluctuating. The only thing I can think of is wiring it in Sterling from a Bank which won’t be cheap. Just wondering how other people made their contributions from overseas accounts. I am currently a CABP member.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Jeremy, most people send an International Money Order in sterling. In effect, its a guaranteed cheque that you simply mail. Its cheaper than wiring funds.

  37. Douglas Brown says

    Correct me if I am wrong, but THE reason that UK Pensions paid in Canada are not indexed is that Canada and the UK DO NOT have any agreements as the UK does with many other countries as shown below:

    The UK has agreements with some other countries to protect the social security rights of workers moving between the 2 countries.

    These are sometimes known as ‘bilateral agreements’ or ‘reciprocal agreements’.

    If you live in one of the following countries and receive a UK State Pension, you will usually get an increase in your pension every year:

    • David Morris says

      Hello Douglas, this is not correct, although it is one of the reasons given by the UK Government. Through a Freedom of Information request we obtained a clear statement from the Dept of Works and Pensions that a reciprocal agreement is NOT required for the UK to index pensions in frozen countries. All that is needed is a simple change to the regulations in the British system. In fact, Canada indexes the pensions of its citizens who live in the UK, without any such reciprocal agreement. This is misleading information, broadcast by the UK Government. The UK is the ONLY country in the OECD that discriminates against its pensioners in this way.

  38. john anderson says

    hi there i was born in england in 1950 oct 12 and worked there from the time i was 15 to 22 years old before coming to canada to live where i am this year becoming 65 and getting my pension here am i entitled to a british pension. i do not have any records of such in in england any help would be great.

    • David Morris says

      Hello John, yes you are entitled to a partial British pension, and you are still able to make some back payments to increase it.
      We can help you get started. To find your National Insurance number all you need is your last address in the UK, or the name of your last employer

      • john anderson says

        hi david
        how do i get hold of u to contiue this as i dont think u want me to post address etc. after 42 years it hard to rember some stuff but sure will try i know my home address but remberinf who the last employer was thinklng thinking hard . also after only 7 years of work there would it be worth paying the back payment for what how mnay years i need pls let me know how i can get in touch with u with a private email thanks for the help

        • David Morris says

          Hi John, the best bet is to join us. We will send you a package of information that should answer most of your questions. I can tell you that financially it is worth making a few back payments to increase your pension amount. We will explain how that works in our member package

  39. Henry Sewell says

    Hello – I am receiving a UK state pension. My wife was born in 1952. She has never worked in the UK. Will she be eligible for a UK pension? If so, when should she apply. Thanks.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Henry, yes, your wife should be eligible for a UK spousal pension equal to roughly 60% of yours.
      If you join us, we can tell you how to proceed with this, and when she should apply

  40. I worked in UK from 1973 to 1979′ female, DOB July 1952. Paid into NI and now living in Canada. Am I eligible and how should I proceed if so? Thank you.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Belinda, you reached pension age in September 2014. The good news is that you only needed 1 year of employment to qualify for a partial pension – so yes, you are entitled to one. You can also still increase it by buying back up to 6 years. The fasted next step is to join us. We will send you a package of information on what to do next, and how to do it – including how to make voluntary contributions. Don’t delay, because you will lose the right to buy back years as each year goes by.

      • Thank you David for reply. Like to let you know that I am not a British citizen and not born in UK. Just went to UK for training in nursing and paid for training etc. I have lost my NI number and not sure how I can obtain that number. Looks like the possibility for getting the pension that I paid may not be possible. Your advice please, thank you.

        • David Morris says

          Hello Belinda, it doesn’t matter if you are not a citizen. All that matters is that you worked in the UK, and contributed to the NI system.
          We can help you if you join us, including advising you on how to obtain your NI number. You should be eligible for a partial pension, so I wouldn’t let that go.

  41. I worked in Uk for about 3 years and contributed towards NI and superannuations. My date of birth is September 1955. Will I be eligible for any pensions? How should I proceed from here?
    I currently live in Canada.
    Thank you for your assistance.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Pooi Fong, can you tell me whether you are male or female ? Sorry I cant tell from your name. You may well be eligible, but I need to know your gender

  42. Shannon Pichette says

    My mother worked in the U.K. from 1956 – 1960 and was wondering if she would be eligible for a pension?

  43. My husband is a UK citizen.by birth and served 3 years in the British armed forces. How and who do I contact to see if he is eligible for some amount British pension?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Shawna, if you tell me your husbands date of birth, I can tell you what he is eligible for.

  44. Shiela Schmidt says

    Hi, I was born in England 1947, 66now, worked from 16-20 then stayed home with my kids 10years, then went back at 30 until I was 33 then came to Canada. I paid into the system when I worked. But no one ever said anything about a married woman’s payment?? and doesn’t my husbands pension count towards mine. I filled all the forms in and sent them off only to be told “because I left in 1980, I could not claim my British Pension only up to 1979″…so I gave up trying . So is there anything I can do??
    Appreciate any help, thanks, Shiela

    • David Morris says

      Hello Shiela, if your husband is collecting a UK pension, you should be eligible for a pension equal to 60% of that, and it should be backdated to when you reached pension age. You need to apply for a spousal Class B pension

  45. Sheila Mary Watt says

    I was born and raised in Glasgow, and worked as a physiotherapist in a hospital in Scotland for two years 1954-1956 before marrying and emigrating to Canada. Am I entitled to a pension?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Sheila, I would need to know your date of birth, but based on when you worked, my guess is that you are of the age that needed 10 years of work experience. It is also too late for you to buy back any years. Sorry.

  46. My husband and I moved to canada in 2008, we know we are entitled to a state pension but want to keep our contributions going. How do we find out how much we owe for each year and how do we start this?

    • David Morris says

      Hi Andrea, the easiest way is to join us. Its only $25 a year for a family. We give you a complete package of information that will answer your questions. We also keep our members informed of changes to pension rules and legislation, and of course, our main goal is to lobby on your behalf to get your pension indexed to inflation, so that you receive annual increases like 95% of all other pensioners

  47. Veronica Farlette says

    I was born in the U.K. and worked there from 1969 until 1976, then again from 1990 until 1992, am I entitled to a pension? I left the U.K. in 1976 with a short return as you will note in 1990 until “92. Since that time I have lived and worked here in Canada. I am currently 61 years old and hope to work until I reach 65 or maybe even a little longer.I intend to join your organisation, hoping to hear from you

    • David Morris says

      Hello Veronika, without knowing your exact date of birth I can’t tell you whether you will only need 1 year or 10 years of work to qualify. If you need 10, you are already very close, and you still have the ability to make additional voluntary contributions, so yes, you would be entitled to a pension if you made some. If you only need 1 year, then you already qualify. You also have the ability to make some catch up back payments, so that would increase your pension.
      We spell all that out in our membership package, and let you know what you should do next.
      Thank you for considering joining us

  48. Hi there,
    Just saw your ad on tv and wish to clarify. I m 48 yr old male, has worked in UK for 3 years from 2001 to 2004. And later migrated to canada. Will I be eligible for pension benefit at retirement age, even though I wish contribute and buy back the remaining years to be eligible? Thanks

    • David Morris says

      Hello Mr Bains, yes, you would be able to make voluntary contributions to give you entitlement to a UK pension. You would also be able to buy back years. All told, you could be eligible for a substantial pension once you reach pension age

  49. PatriciBaskerville says

    My DOB is 1948 I worked from1963-1965 in England went to Ireland and returned in 1966 raised a family and worked again self employed from 1970 -1978 then I emigrated to Canada. My spouse is Canadian and was born in 1941. Will I be or my spouse be entitled for to a U.K. pension.
    Thank you

    • David Morris says

      Hello Patricia, you needed 10 years to qualify for a pension. Given your work experience, and child raising, you may have that. It will depend on whether you made NI Contributions when you were self employed. It is certainly worth your while to pursue this. You are still able to buy back 3 or 4 years, so you could well qualify. Your spouse will unfortunately not be eligible.

  50. Marian Goodson says

    Saw your advert on the TV and I have joined.
    Both my husband and I were both born in the UK- his DOB- May 1950 he will be 65 next year- he worked full time from age fifteen until age 23 then moved to Canada in 1973

    My DOB is June 1952- I worked Part time from age 15 -16 when I was attending school & continued part time from 16-18 when I was in a Full time two year course at college – I then worked Full time from summer 1970 until I moved to Canada in Mar 1973.

    Do I get NI credits for the full time two year Governent funded course?

    We have our NI numbers I have already found out that I reach my pension age 0n the 6th September 2014
    I had contacted DWP last year and they supplied me with my pension age but that was all they said they would do at that time they would contact me I am still waiting.

    How long will it take to get a pension forecast?
    We would like to make voluntary contributions in the 2 category if we qualify for that?
    Am I too close to my Retirement Age to find out if I can pay a voluntary lump sum Payment?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Marian, thank you for joining us. Hopefully the package of info we send you will answer your questions, and if not, you can always contact us.
      You would automatically get NI credits from when you were 16 to 18, so those are covered. You only need 1 year for eligibility for a partial pension, but you will be able to buy back some years, and you can pay that in one lump sum if you wish.
      You will have to call the pension centre to have them mail you a pension statement – you will find the number to call in our information package that we send you. We also explain the rules for qualifying for Class 2. Hope this answers your immediate questions

  51. peter lee says

    can anyone advise me on this question. My wife and I were both born in England in 1948, My wife worked for 8 years then raised a family for 7 years before we imigrated to Canada in 1981. According to the UK pension department she is allowed 33cents per week UK pension. I was told her years as a stay at home mother would count towards her pension years which would give her 15 years towards her pension and becouse she was unemployed at the time we left England she could make class 2 voluntary contrbutions. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Peter, it is now too late for your wife to make voluntary contribution. When she worked, did she elect to pay the reduced “married woman’s stamp” ?
      If so, those years would not count towards the state pension. If she paid the full NI rate, then they would count, and so would the child raising years.
      However, regardless of any of that, she is entitled to a spousal pension, equal to 60% of yours. She can claim this at the point where you reach pension age, which should be now.

      • My wife paid the full NI rate when she was working can she still make additional contributions The 60% spousal pension she can claim is that part of my pension or is it additional payment. we have just joined your organization and made a some additional donation.

        • David Morris says

          Hello Peter, I need to know both your dates of birth, and how many years worked in the UK before I can answer about contributions. If she is entitled to a spousal pension, it will be paid to her, and will be in addition to yours.
          Thank you for joining us.
          If you can let me know the information above, I can give you a more accurate picture

  52. Elizabeth Cicansky says

    Just saw your ad on TV and am joining your organization. I already receive a British Pension for which I paid contributions during approx six years that I worked in the U.K then I made up the necessary amount to qualify for the ten years eligibility. I wasn’t aware that I could get an increase in this pension any time that I was visiting in the U.K. Would these increased payments be retroactive as I visited the U.K. In 2012 and 2008?

    I have spent a few weeks each year for the last few years in the USA – is my British Pension eligible for increases under these circumstances?

    Also, I was told that my husband who is Canadian may be eligible for a small British Pension, is this correct?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Elizabeth, no, the payments wouldn’t be retroactive. You have to advise DWP at the time of your visit. Unfortunately, there are only two unfrozen countries where temporary increases do not apply. They are the US and Bermuda.
      Your husband might be eligible, but I would need to know both your dates of birth to confirm that.

      Thank you for joining us

      • Elizabeth C says

        My husbands’s DOB is April 11, 1941, mine is Feb 5, 1946
        Also, when I receive my package of information, will I be able to find out if your organization would be able to review the pension I receive to make sure I applied correctly. I had a great deal of trouble any time I tried contacting Newcastle on Tyne and kept getting different information from them.

        • David Morris says

          Hello Elizabeth, unfortunately, your husband would not be eligible. Spousal pensions were only available to women prior to 2010. Yes, we can help you with checking your pension amount.

  53. Hello,
    I am inquiring about the pension on behalf of my husband, He is a British Citizen living and working in Canada (permanent resident) . He was in the British Military for 7 years before immigrating to Canada. We are wondering if he would qualify for the Pension. He is 47 years old, if he would qualify at what age could he collect.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Jackie, yes, your husband is eligible, but he will need to make some voluntary contributions to get to the minimum level of 10 years. He can also make more than that to give him an even bigger pension. His retirement age will be 66, so he could come close to getting a full pension if he makes contributions each year. It is worth doing.

  54. Hello,
    I have written correspondence from the department that determines pension eligibility. If a British citizen has been resident in Canada for 20 or more years they are not eligible for any pension, partial or otherwise. Even returning to Britain to retire does not change eligibility. There is no pension if you were resident in Canada for 20 years.

    • David Morris says

      Hi Andrew, sorry, but that is factually untrue. We have many members here that have been in Canada for much longer than 20 years, and are collecting a UK pension. I happen to be one of them. I have been here for 42 years, and just started collecting my pension. Someone has seriously misinformed you, or you misunderstood. According to the Pension depts. own figures, there are 150,000 people in Canada currently collecting a UK pension. The majority of our members (8,000) are all long term residents of Canada. Most of them came to Canada when they were younger, made voluntary contributions, and are now collecting their pension

    • David Morris says

      Hello again Andrew,
      you may be referring to the Canadian pension system, which has a rule that says you have to have lived in Canada for 20 years after the age of 18 to qualify for OAS. The UK has no such rule

      • Hello David,
        Thank you for your replies. I contacted Centre for Non-Residents in Newcastle upon Tyne to inquire about my eligibility to claim a UK pension when I reach the qualifying age. I am a British citizen, have a National Insurance number but ,of course, it is dormant because I have been in Canada for 28 years. I supplied my caseworker with the necessary information and the outcome, based on the Social Security agreement between the UK and Canada, was that anyone who has lived in Canada for 20 or more years will not qualify for a UK pension. The Agreement is not taken into consideration and, furthermore as I will be in receipt of a Canadian Old Age Security Pension it seals the fate that there is no pension.
        The letter and information I received (SA20) is such that it could not be misinterpreted. Is there another avenue I can take to make a second inquiry?

        • David Morris says

          Hello Andrew, the person in Newcastle must have been new to their job. If you are referring to the statements in SA20, on page 15, you will note that it refers to people now residing in the UK who are claiming prior residence in Canada as qualification towards the UK state pension. It does not apply to people now living in Canada who are claiming the UK pension. Your best bet is simply to apply in writing for a pension forecast. We can help with that. I can assure you that you are not restricted by the number of years in Canada. The only thing that counts is the number of years worked in the UK

          • Hello David,
            Thank you very much for the hopeful reply. To have you help what steps do I take next? I am also interested in making contributions as I think I have about 7 years of UK contributions (I will be 57 years old next month)) can you advise how I do this and what the amounts and frequency should be?
            Thanks again for your encouraging and helpful responses.

          • Just joined CABP and made a contribution to the Action Fund :), also “liked” the facebook page

          • David Morris says

            Hi Andrew, excellent ! Just what I was going to suggest 🙂 Within a couple of days, you should get a complete package of info via email. You reach retirement age after 2016, so you will need 10 years, however, you will be able to make back payments, and also contributions going forward. if you have any questions once you get the package, don’t hesitate to contact us. Thanks for your support

  55. I was born Sept 3, 1949 in Canada and have lived here my whole life except for the 7 years (2001-2008) my husband and I lived and worked in England. I worked for 4 years and my husband worked for the 7. My husband (also born in Canada) died in 2009. Am I entitled to pension and am I entitled to part of my husband’s (he was born Nov 8, 1950)?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Carole, you would not be entitled to a pension in your own right, as you needed 10 years, and at this point you can only buy back 3 or 4 years. However, your husband only needed `1 year to qualify, so he was entitled to a partial pension, and you are entitled to that as his widow. You should certainly apply, and we can help with that

  56. L Thomson says

    My husband and I immigrate from England in 1979 at the age of 21 and 20. He was born in 1958 and I was born in 1959. He worked in England for approx. 5 years and I worked there for approx 2 – 3 years and had a maternity leave as well before coming to Canada. Would we qualify for a UK pension? What are our options? If we made additional contributions how much would we each have to pay and what is the process to do this?

    • David Morris says

      Hello L Thomson, You both fall under the new legislation where you will need 10 years of NI contributions. The good news is that you are able to make voluntary payments, both to catch up, and going forward, which will get you a sizeable percentage of the full pension. The amount of a voluntary contribution varies, depending on whether you can make class 2 (£140), or class 3 (£720) contributions. Each payment gets you 1 pro rated year of extra pension. It is a great financial deal to make these contributions.
      If you join us (only $25 for a family), we will send you a complete package of information on what to do next, and how to qualify for Class 2.

  57. Valerie says

    Hi, my husband and I both formally from the UK having worked there for less than 10 years I get a very small pension my husband receives a larger amount we are now both passed 65 and was wondering if I am entitled to any other pension from the UK

    • David Morris says

      Hello Valerie, I can only help with the State pension, not with any occupational pensions. is the pension you are getting the state pension ?

  58. V. MacDonald says

    Hi there, saw commercial on tv re British Pensions and I would like to know if I qualify to receive pension. I worked in uk for 7 years at age of 15 to 22 from 1962 to 1969 when I emigrated to Canada. I am now 67 years old. I understand to qualify need 10 years and willing to contribute to top up. Can you advise if I do qualify,If so how much I need to pay and how to go about it..

    • David Morris says

      Hello V MacDonald, You likely are eligible, but I need to know if you are male or female, as it makes a difference. Sorry I can’t tell from your email address.

  59. john gibb says

    How much is it to pay up my UK pension I worked for 5 years I have been told
    I can pay up another 5 years and get a pension at age 65.

    Thanks john

    • David Morris says

      Hello John, the cost to make a voluntary contribution for 1 year depends on whether you can make class 2 or class 3 contributions. Class 2 is roughly £140 for 1 year, and class 3 is £700 for 1 year, so Class 2 is the way to go if you qualify. We can help you with understanding the rules on making Class 2 contributions, and how to go about it.

  60. Lalita koodoo says

    My question is, I migrated to UK in 1967 after marrying my husband in India. He had been living in UK for five years before and working at that time. Then we both moved to Canada a year after. We were divorced 7 years after and both got re-married. He now lives in India but collects UK pensions. His mom who had migrated to UK for only one year was also getting state pension and never worked. I was wondering if I qualify for any state pension from UK?

  61. Alison McGillivray says

    My husband and myself were both born in Scotland. We left in 1967 to start a new life in Canada. Unfortunately he passed away 1982 at 44yrs old. We both worked for a few years in Scotland, him more than I as he was 7yrs older than I was. He left school at 15 as I also did. I worked until 19 when we married. He worked from 1953 – 1967. And in between those years he did 2yrs in Cyprus National Service. I have been a widow since he passed away, raising three children on my own. I have been retired since Dec. 2011. Just inquiring if I am entitled to any pensions from the U.K. Thanks so much.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Alison, your situation is a little complicated. You would not be entitled to a pension in your own right, but may be eligible for one based on your husbands contributions. If you did not remarry, or live common law, you would likely be eligible. It is certainly worth enquiring.

  62. Bryan Finlay says

    My wife and I were born in Britain and worked there for a number of years before emigrating to Canada where we have Canadian citizenship. We both receive UK pensions, but obviously would love to have them indexed. We now have children and grandchildren living in the USA and Australia.
    Would our UK pensions get indexed if we had a USA mailing address, or do we need to be tax-paying residents of the USA to be entitled to indexed UK pensions?

    Note: It always seems ironic that residents of a non-commonwealth country like the USA get indexed UK pensions when commonwealth countries (regardless of the extent of their contributions to defend Britain in the past) cannot. Seems like “Size does matter!”. Hopefully CABP can develop the size and/or influence necessary to exert the necessary pressure to achieve equality.

    • David Morris says

      Hello Bryan, the rules say that you need to be a deemed ordinary resident of a country to qualify for the indexing. What determines residence isn’t precisely defined, but it includes having a residence, bank accounts, and all the other connections you build up when you live in a place permanently, including paying tax. Using someone else’s address would not qualify.
      There is no doubt that there are people who use addresses in the US and claim they live there. They may well get away with it, but there is always a risk that they could get caught, and I don’t know what the DWP would do in that circumstance.

  63. Patricia Hewett says

    Hi there. Just found you and will join. I have a question. I worked in the uk for about 25years and paid into the pension plan all that time. I was receiving a small pension (I live in canada by the way) so it has been frozen. However this small payment stopped a few months ago. Is there any reason for this? Thanks. Patricia

    • David Morris says

      Hello Patricia,
      it is possible that the DWP sent you a life certificate, to verify that you are still alive. If you did not return that certificate in the time frame they ask (which isn’t very long), they will stop your pension. If you are a member, our office can help you with getting it reinstated

  64. Pauline Kilduff says

    My husband is a British citizen who receives a small British pension. I worked n the UK for about 1.5 years when we were first married. I am 58 years of age and do not receive any pensions. We live in South Korea at this time, but plan to move back to the UK within the next 2-3 years. Am I entitled to any pension before age 65, at age 65 or am I entitled to any pension at all?

    • David Morris says

      Hello Pauline, given your age you will come under the new legislation. As such, you will not be entitled to a spousal pension from your husbands record. However, as you worked in the UK, you may well have made National Insurance contributions during your employment. If so, this goes towards qualifying for a pension in your own right. You will need a minimum of 10 qualifying years, which you do not have at the moment, but you do have the ability to make voluntary contributions, and to buy back some years. This would get you to the minimum of 10 years to qualify for a partial pension. This is something you should seriously consider soon, as the opportunity to make voluntary contributions diminishes as you approach retirement age.
      If you join us, we can tell you how to go about finding out your pension status, and how to make voluntary contributions

Leave a Comment

Email is required but will not be published